Friday 11 February 2011

The Vampire


I am not far becoming a real vampire. After a trip to the Royal Marsden last week for a check up (which went really well) it was discovered yet again that I was becoming seriously anaemic (again). The doctor waved his magic wand and on Wednesday I trudged off to our local (not- twenty five miles away ) hospital once again for a blood transfusion. I expected one unit, perhaps two. I was given three. It is a very long day. The process is not as simple as folk think- I used to think it was case of them identifying your type then whoosh... off we go. In fact, the blood sample you give is carefuly analysed. To check for fun stuff such as anti- bodies. This takes about two and a half hours, perhaps longer.
Anyway, the point is that I have been told not to stress about the need for tranfusions. I may need quite a few more this year. My body is not strong enough yet to keep my blood levels where they need to be. Resources are scare, and demands are many.
So, I have an idea. Rather than bother with hospitals,drips, waiting around.....I just thought I would start eyeing up a few juicy necks. If someone inadvertently tells me they have my blood type ( when I casually ask) I will duly sink my ever longer teeth into their neck for a quick top up.
If you are going to meet up with me I suggest you wear a scarf.

10 comments:

Gberger said...

I think there are a lot of popular books out there now with this very theme! So glad that your check-up went well. Blessings to you.

Busy Bee Suz said...

Oh, you are so funny. I am sorry you have to go through this ordeal....hopefully it won't be a forever issue though.
So, did you read the Twilight books???

l'optimiste said...

Yay to the people who donate all that blood. Isn't it amazing...I'm sure they'd be chuffed to bits if they knew where it went and how much it helps other people. And your doc is right - what's to stress about? [stress = using valuable resources ya know heh heh]. Must make the most of technology and that's a part of it.

You won't need it forever. But the trip does sound a tad tiresome :(

SOOO glad I am hiding out in Devon ;)
x

Maggie May said...

As long as I am not the victim..... then that is fine!
Maggie X

Nuts in May

Unknown said...

Well I'll not be telling you mine then!

Maybe you've been reading too many Twilight books?

The Merry said...

So long as you don't start to sparkle in the sunlight like vampires do over here, I suppose it's okay. Vampires usually have great fashion sense :)

Sage said...

You would be more than welcome to mine.. .lol xx

Gill - That British Woman said...

well that sucks (lol), did you go to Kendal then, is that the nearest one to you?

Gill in Canada

Expat mum said...

If you were A+ like me, that would make us universal recipients so you could just stick your fangs into anyone who was rhesus posistive. On the other hand, the Ball & Chain is O+, which is the universal donor. I'll just send him over!

Loopin said...

Happy to say I'm no good to you blood-type wise!

Your body has been through continuous trauma for well over a year - no wonder you need to tap others' veins for a while.

Not sure vampires are as discerning as you on the blood grouping. I've yet to see a vampire movie or book where the heroes are lugging round a blood typing kit, but who knows...