Thursday 22 April 2010

Mercury in retrograde?

Mercury is in retrograde a good friend tells me. I seem to remember that this means that technical stuff tends to go a bit haywire. That is definitely true in this house. Teenager's computer has died. My computer has been broken for two days and I have managed to resurrect it tonight, although it it is slow and sullen.

So haven't blogged as much I have wanted to. Nevertheless, I can give quick update now while things are co-operating. Other half has been in Brighton a couple of days so he has his computer with him. Technologically challenged. He is back tomorrow and we are all off to PC world tomorrow. Not my favourite place but needs must.

So, I have had two days of chemotherapy. Day one was rather nerve-wracking. I am having two different types and I have had one of them before. And I was badly allergic to it. An overnight in hospital's worth of allergy. Mmmh. So I was a tad apprehensive on Wednesday. I was promised lots of antihistamine, cortisol and steriods to protect me, but with the real threat of having a rapid episode when the chemical hit the veins, cat on a hot tin roof was the word. I was watched very carefully, the nurses were eagle eyed but calm. I was fine. I was comfortable, and I have been pretty good so far ( thanks to the blessed steroids which make you feel a bit more like a human being).

I have one more half hour session tomorrow, then I am finished for just under three weeks. Phew. I am on the path, and a journey of a thousand miles starts with the first steps.

Thanks for all your continued support and kindness. I really appreciate it. I am hoping over the weekend to start sharing some of the things that are really helping me deal with this situation in a positive way. I hope sharing may help other people.

12 comments:

l'optimiste said...

so THAT'S what's wrong with my iPhone [sloow] and my pc [sloow]. It appears to be affecting my brain too...

What's the regime then? 2 Days every three weeks for how long? What chemo are you on? As if it makes any difference - chemo is all horrid stuff. BUT it does the job so we grin and bear it [well, try to grin].

Sending you loads of hugs. Don't forget a wee glass of the red stuff - marvellous for nausea and sleeping. And it conquers the ghastly petrolly-mouth

KBO! ;o)
xx

Clippy Mat said...

One, or is it two, down! Great that you have the next three weeks without chemo. Hope you get the snazziest computer ever.
Blog on.
:-)

Bragger said...

You are always in my thoughts and prayers.

Gberger said...

Sending you oodles of love and good thoughts. You are wonderful.

Busy Bee Suz said...

Jo, how I love this update. Positive....you are getting through this. You have been through it once and know what to expect....God love ya.
I hope your techno issues are solved and you have a restful weekend.
You are in my daily prayers.
Hugs,
Suz

Carolyn Trafford Art said...

Yes, the first few steps. They're usually the hardest. The further your journey goes, the easier they will become.

Loopin said...

So pleased you've managed to get the first cycle under your belt. It seems like a long slog, but knowing you, you will approach the whole endeavour with honesty, positivity and determination.

Have fun at pc world!

Decadent Housewife said...

You are a fifth through - good for you!

Tracey said...

The countdown begins... well done on that bout of chemo xx
Good luck with PC world.. not one of my favourite places to be honest, much prefer a independant pc shop as i find PC World expensive!

if ever you feel you'd like to chat face to face.. I'm up in Newcastle for a while and can get my other half to drive me over to somewhere for a coffee?
i mean that too and don't worry i'm not a doom monger hahaha
Tracey xxx

Gill - That British Woman said...

I am so glad you have got the 1st cycle over with. You are a strong woman, you will beat this.

Sending lots of virtual {{{HUGS}}} your way,

Gill in Canada

Iota said...

I'm reading your posts. I won't always comment, because I can't always think of anything to say. But I wanted you to know that I'll be reading as the weeks go by.

I had an allergic reaction to chemo. Nothing like yours. All over within an hour. But it's very scary, having your body pumped full of chemicals that make it do weird and horrible things.

Grumpy Old Ken said...

Thought you might like a bit of male support, tho' it be somewhat ancient!