Saturday 5 March 2011

here are a few of my favourite things...............

Coach

Pandora



Jo Malone




Today I went out with other half to my favourite shop Marks and Spencer ( now usually known as M and S). I love going for a coffee there and buzzing round the clothes; ranges change regularly and are very reasonably priced. Now I fit Per Una (a woman's clothes range) I am usually found in there these days. I don't always buy but I am always tempted!
Our local M and S in Kendal is not a large branch by any means. It is great for me though as it is easy to park there and there is not much walking involved (sometimes I can't walk too far if my leg is sore). It has everything I need. A coffee shop, a great food department and clothes to lust after.
It got me thinking about other things that I really love and that cheer me up, and things that are very hard to resist. I mean material things of course ( I am not including human beings in this post!!)
The pictures above are the clue.

Coach
First discovered many moons ago in Florida USA. I went into a shopping mall and it was love at first sight. Holiday spending money- vanished. Since then every time I go to the US I buy Coach bags and wallets. I just love their designs. Imagine my horror to discover it wasn't in the UK anywhere. It came to Harvey Nichols ( in London) as a concession a few years ago... then it vanished. The products were great but the prices were ludicrous. Now they are back again in Westfield Shopping Centre in London. This is great news. But I dearly hope that the prices aren't ridiculous. My lovely friend Bobbie brought me a FABULOUS Coach bag back from Seattle recently. It is amazing. I am very happy about it especially since I won't be back to the USA for a long time ( this is agony for me I love it so much). I can't get holiday insurance to go and I can't afford to get 'caught out'. If I got sick there and was un-insured- we would have a really bad problem on our hands.

Pandora
I have loved Pandora jewellery for so long I can't even remember where I first saw it! I think it may have been in our local jewellers. I liked it a long time before it became hugely popular. I got my mum a bracelet a few years ago and now we both collect the charms. My bracelet is now full. I need to start a new one! I also have several rings and ear-rings. I think the products are beautiful and I think it is really clever how they have diversified their ranges so quickly so they don't go out of fashion. It certainly hasn't with this customer.
Jo Malone
First smelt on my friend Helen, but introduced to me by my friend Karen ( again- she has wonderful taste), the first shop I went to was in Glasgow. I soon followed up with a visit to a branch in Bond Street ( or nearby) in London. I am not sure the first product I ever bought but since then I have become completely addicted. I love their candles, fragrances, soaps.... you name it. My favourite fragrances are :Lime Basil and Mandarin and Black Cafe Vetyver. I usually ask for Jo Malone for my birthday and Christmas. We don't have a local store so if I get the chance to visit one I usually stock up. Now also a firm favourite of my mum's!


The White Company
First introduced to me by my friend Karen in Scotland. I think it was the Edinburgh branch. I thought it was so fresh and clean. Fabulous bedding, towels and clothes. I was far too big for the clothes in those days. I used to just look. However, as time went buy and a few stone vanished off my frame, I started to dabble with a few clothes. Then I started replacing all our bedding ( teenager excepted- he has his own stuff he likes). Now I am a serial clothes shopper in the stores and my most recent purchase was a fabulous pale grey cashmere cardigan. It has dented my Christmas money, but it was worth any penny (yes- I actually have Christmas money left).


Other things I just love : Chanel make up, Mulberry bags, Jaguar cars, I phones and apple stuff, Monsoon ( now that if fits me- hurray).............. as you can see I love my luxury, but I think--- why not? Life is for living.
Tell me about your favourite things?

11 comments:

Grumpy Old Ken said...

Good stuff. Reminds me of Rupert Brooke's poem 'These I have Loved'.

Busy Bee Suz said...

This is such a fun post!!!! I have one of those monogrammed Coach bags and I adore it!
I also would love to spend tons of money on fine linens, (towels and sheets!!) the cheap stuff does nothing for me.
Love good candles and scents, I have never heard of Jo Malone; surely I would love it!!
We actually have Coach outlet stores now too. I try to purchase one a year just to keep me feeling like a girly girl!
xoxo

Unknown said...

Hi Jo,
I've been trying to think of something to blog about and so I'm going to pinch your idea if thats ok - I will link to you too.

Enjoy your luxury!

Carolyn Trafford Art said...

I too love Per Una - I like the soft feminine styles and am frequently seen in long skirts when not in walking gear,

Handbags - then it has to Radley. (yes its the dog tag i fell for)

The outdoors, especially your neck of the woods

My house, my husband and our new doggy arrival

Jane said...

Jo I love all the same things as you. Just adore Jo Malone and the White company.I am delighted to tell you that Jo Malone and the White Company are now BOTH in Fenwicks of Newcastle
Jane

Loopin said...

Ahh! Life's little luxuries!

Pure cotton bedlinen - preferably white. I love White Company, but I also haunt other places, and my favourite set is a Dorma set. Pure bliss when you settle in for a night's rest in fresh bedlinen. I don't need the excuse that my bedlinen's wearing out to be itching to get more. Love beautiful big fluffy towels too. Mmm!

White Company do some divine room scents, candles and also a yummy linen spray (lavender & citrus) which is very relaxing.

Love L'Occitane Vetyver - a fesh citrussy scent. Their shea butter fragrance-free range of moisturisers is excellent too.

Liz Earle - just discovered their shampoo which is heavenly. Their body lotion has been a favourite for a while and has a soothing scent, guaranteed to relax you and make you feel good.

Other than that my biggest vice is books - I have a Kindle which I love, and have in excess of 200 titles on it already! It means whenever I want to curl up with a good book, I'm totally spoilt for choice without having to lug around a ton of paper. Doesn't stop me buying and loving the paper version too.

Great post, Jo - got me smiling and thinking about things that make me feel happy. Great way to start the week.

Gill - That British Woman said...

we have a Coach outlet store opening close to us in April, dd is super excited......I can live without Coach, do like Radley though!!!

I miss M & S but I see I can order online now from them.

Gill in Canada

About Last Weekend said...

Hi there, nice to meet you, Jody here living in CA. Came through ExpatMum. I love hearing about MandS, spent many hours in the one in Notting Hill with three little kids, hiding from the rain. I still miss the duck pancakes and the brown sugar and mustard whole chickens - Hope they still have them because visiting in May...(btw, I have great memories of Windermere, wonderful place!)

About Last Weekend said...

Hi there, nice to meet you, Jody here living in CA. Came through ExpatMum. I love hearing about MandS, spent many hours in the one in Notting Hill with three little kids, hiding from the rain. I still miss the duck pancakes and the brown sugar and mustard whole chickens - Hope they still have them because visiting in May...(btw, I have great memories of Windermere, wonderful place!)

Gberger said...

I love hearing this list, but not that you can't come back to the USA for now...but that's how I'm taking the news: for NOW.

Of COURSE Suz has "Coach" bags - she's married to a guy called "Coach!" =)

Maybe you should start a meme about "my favorite things" (cue Julie Andrews singing, please). Everyone would love to write about that topic!

organicharp said...

You're not going to believe this, but I have in fact been in the Edinburgh branch of the White Company. And actually really liked it! So- when I become wildly famous and wealthy, that is where we will go to celebrate. :) x