Saturday 12 March 2011

sweet sixteen








( bottom picture- Pete in South Africa with a new friend! He had an amazing time on his trip)
Regular readers will be know that I never get bored with a particular subject. My son ! He is my pride and joy and inspiration.
A year ago I was told I was going to die- probably within twelve months. I prayed that I would get to see my boy get to sixteen. It seemed unlikely at the time, but it was something I focussed on and wished for, and prayed for. I had an operation which at best has saved my life and at worst has bought me time. It's been a long journey later but I saw it through and.....teenager was sixteen this week. We ate cake, we ate chinese, we sat and celebrated as a family. It was wonderful. I hugged and hugged him and celebrated with such joy.I am so glad I got to see that day. Funnily enough it was a typical kind of day.... he had mock exams ( worst subjects of course) and exams the following day. It was a school week, the weather was awful, it was a week when we had to keep the celebrations low key. But all day I glowed. And now my next goal.
I want to see my mum's birthday ( June), and my own birthday ( 47 in October) . And dare I focus of teenager's seventeenth. It's already being prayed about. Please pray with me.

17 comments:

Sage said...

You are always on my mind.. and I am hoping you will see many more birthdays with Son xx

Gberger said...

Oh, yes, praying with you!

Happy Birthday, SixTeen - what a joy you are to your Mum and through her, to us. May you BOTH enjoy many happy returns of the day!

Busy Bee Suz said...

I pray that you are there for his 50th birthday!!!!!
Happy day to your sweet young man. Happy day to you Jo, you have come a long way baby!!!!!!

Maggie May said...

Congratulations on making it to son's sixteenth! Glad you are moving your boundary now and raising it to seventeen. That way you are living in bite sized chunks and still keeping the doors open for more. I hope there is plenty more.

I vowed I would try & live till 70 otherwise I would feel cheated. I will be 69 in a couple of months. I also want to see my granddaughters reach secondary school the youngest is still 6.
I think we need goals to beat.

Your boy is lovely and that is very good reason to hang on.
I have been praying for you. Will continue to.
You inspire me to keep going. Its amazing how people do that. I recently gave a testimony about fighting cancer, in church and I mentioned you and how brave you were and what an inspiration you were to me.
Keep trekking!
Maggie X

Nuts in May

Renie Burghardt said...

Happy Birthday to your handsome, sixteen year old, Pete!

I will pray with you, dear Jo! Lord hear our prayers. Amen.

l'optimiste said...

you will see his whole life - that is what I wish for you...
xxx

LYN said...

Hi Jo!
I am new to your blog..I clicked on a link on another blog..you know how that goes..anyway I just wanted to introduce myself..I'm Lyn..expat from Oxford living in Florida..
nice to "meet you"
Keep fighting the good fight..my hubby has been in remission from Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma for 17 years and he was given 2 years tops!!

organicharp said...

Your blog is such a good reminder of gratitude. I am so truly happy for you that you've been able to share this day with family and have seen it through. My prayers are always here for you! x

Trish said...

How wonderful you have been given the chance to see your lovely boy turn 16. How proud you must be of him, and he of you.
My son turned 15 last week and I just love the young man he has become.

Anonymous said...

I just said a prayer for you Jo. You are a great mum!

Anonymous said...

What an inspirational and strong woman you are - your son must be very proud of you x

About Last Weekend said...

Wow, Happy Birthday to your son, he looks like a handsome and really wonderful kid! Love the picture in South Africa. This post is incredible. I have spent the last week worrying and stressing about something that now seems so trivial in contrast. You have very liltingly put everything in context...

Bragger said...

May you enjoy many, many, many more birthdays - yours and his! Mwah!

Jane said...

Popped over from ExpatMum. Sweet 16 is a precious age, so glad you're sharing it with your son. Praying for you Jo!

Just Another Day in Sydney said...

I gave a birthday and celebratory cheer for you and your son here in Sydney. I hope you celebrate so many more birthdays together that you all lose count!

mumsarcade said...

I feel so honoured to have found your blog on the say so of a contributor to my wonderful woman blog hop. I am so pleased you reached this target and saw your son's 16th birthday.
He is beautiful and I pray for many happy memories together.
My mum died of cancer in 2009 and I learned that memories really are all that matter and you are clearly going to leave your son with wonderful ones.

Abigail Rogers said...

I just heard of this sweet blogger's death today from Expat Mum (http://expatmum.blogspot.com/2011/10/on-grief-and-loss.html). I'll be praying for all who knew and loved Jo McGowran.