Monday 18 August 2008

No-one ever died leaving an empty in-tray

Mmmh! I wonder if that is true? I read this quote recently and can't remember for the life of me who it is attributed to. I really like the saying though. It is rather in the vein of ' the graveyard is full of indispensable people' which I am pretty sure is Oscar Wilde. Now that is one of my favourites for sure.

I am sure many busy people out there, like me, look at the 'in tray of life' and wonder how on earth it is going to get tackled. While I have had quite a few challenges in my life over the years the one thing I can definitely say hand on heart is that I have never been bored. Irritated when sitting in a long traffic jam, or restless on a plane journey, but never bored. I can honestly say I can't remember a time in my adult life when I have been bored. There is always so much to do and so many wonderful things to explore if there is any down time. I suppose I am lucky that my parents ( particularly my mum) instilled a love of reading into me which means I always have an exciting pile of stuff to read around the place waiting for attention. I would rather read or write than watch the tv any day.

I love catching up with my pals ( especially over a coffee or even better a glass of wine!), I love shopping ( or just looking around), surfing the net and doing my blog, answering emails, studying for my course, hanging out with the other half and teenager, spending time with my mum, going to church and seeing all my friends there...and then there is the stuff of life or 'servicing' as my dad used to call it, or keeping the show on the road....

Speaking of all that, I have an early coffee with my girlfriends at good old Costas this morning and then it's off to Sedbergh school to drop Peter at a residential rugby camp til Thursday. He needs about four hundred changes of clothes, especially in this weather, and even more stuff for all the activities. It looks a great programme but busy busy busy.... and I will be busy with the washing machine when he gets back.

No comments: