Friday 12 December 2008

The best laid plans....

The best-laid plans of mice and men often go awry

or

“The best laid schemes o’ mice an’ men / Gang aft a-gley.” ( for our Scottish readers and those true to the original by Robert Burns.

We have just got rid of the snow and it has come back again. It is freezing and white outside. A delightful combination of snow and freezing fog. I am meeting twelve pals for lunch today at Pizza Express in Kendal before the school carol service. Problem is. Teenager isn't going to be there. He now has my cold, and is a miserable sneezing and coughing heap on the sofa. He is going to cuddle up in the house with other half, who is freshly back from Birmingham.

So I am going to carol service.... without my son. Just how many teachers are going to say ' So where's the boy then?'. Sigh.

If it decides to snow again it really will be fun and games. That's it- I am packing and going to live with Busy Bee Suz in the sun. Prepare the spare room

6 comments:

Busy Bee Suz said...

Oh, sorry your Son is not well. Yes, you will be questioned up and down as to where he is. I usually tell people that my children are bad and I left them in the car. Then they stop asking. ;)
It is raining here today...A cold front is coming in. High of 70. Yeah, old man winter is creeping in. :) that was a joke.
The guest room is ready, but I don't make breakfast.

Expat mum said...

And you are going without Pete WHY? Last year A caught flu and was sent home on the actual day of his evening concert. Yippee. No need to sit through it. Sorry, but when your own bairn's not in it, what's the point. Or just call me Humbug!

Renie Burghardt said...

Oh, dear, your poor son! I am just over my nasty bug, and it took a while too. My younger son (48) is here this weekend and keeps asking me if I'm sure I'm over my bug. He doesn't want to catch it. I don't blame him.

We have no snow here, thank goodness, but it's a bit on the chilly side. Hope the lunch at the Pizza Express was good. We are going to a Mexican Restaurant tomorrow, then shopping. My son's treat.

Enjoy the weekend. I do hope your poor son gets over his cold quickly.

Hugs,

Renie

Janet said...

It looks like you're in for a bad winter this year.

It's been pretty cold around here of late. Monday we are set to have a high of 27 degrees F, sorry I don't know what that is in real money, but it's well below freezing, and sleet and snow. :-(

Sorry your boy is under the weather. I hope he feels well soon.

Lakeland Jo said...

expat mum- I had lunch with the girls and was giving them one of them a lift. So- I was condemned. I couldn't take the time off in the previous two years...so I was determined to go and belt out those carols- teenager or no teenager.
As it was, two kids in the choir threw up all over the floor and the whole church had to re-organise itself.
There are a lot of bugs about!

Gill - That British Woman said...

and the funny thing is my mother in Carlisle have had no snow!!!!!

Hope your son gets better soon, as men do tend to be big babies!!!

Gill