Thursday 11 September 2008

Consett, McDonalds again, and Steve Bates






My new office: Consett McDonalds. Already finished my first coffee, and thinking about another. Enjoying the total peace of answering emails and looking at blogs: it was worth the very early start to have a good hour of air time. Once I have finished work I usually feel disinclined to get the computer out: too busy contemplating my evening glass of wine ( anyone out their counting my units- hope not?).


Thought I would treat you all to a shot of Consett. It is very high up and remote, but the town itself is growing every time I visit.


Had a very exciting moment last night. Pulling up outside our cottage in Corbridge I spotted Steve Bates ( Newcastle Falcons Director of Rugby) walking past with his dog. I spied his English Rugby rose on his raincoat. I said hello and hope he spotted my Falcons car sticker. Apparently he lives locally. He looked a little glum ( perhaps because he thought I was going to mow him down on the pavement) : the Falcons have an uphill struggle to get up the table this season, but I have every confidence in him, and then.
Had a lovely meal in the Black Bull in Corbridge:I recommend it. Staff were very friendly. Lamb shank, mash and fresh veg washed down with merlot. Great stuff!

Good to see an England win last night, boys watched it in the local pub in Bowness. Mum and I couldn't access it so kept getting texts about the score from teenager. Let's hope they can keep it going.... we need them to qualify.



5 comments:

Jan said...

It sounds like you're enjoying your tour of duty in Consett/Corbridge. And I won't count your wine units if you don't count mine. :-)

Gill - That British Woman said...

I didn't realise that you could get free internet access in MacDonalds, mind you its not a place I ever venture into. I find MacDonalds is good for one thing, making me go to the bathroom!!!!! too much info I know!!

Gill in Canada

Lakeland Jo said...

I must admit the Golden Arches are not my usual choice for food but the coffee is fine ( honest) and if you get in there early enough you avoid the noise, and the screaming kids.... and ( I sound like a grumpy old woman I know)

Hadriana's Treasures said...

I think I might mention your Falcon sighting to my brother-in-law as he is a great rugby fan. He is coach for a rugby club down South. The whole family are massive rugbyites... If you are up and down A69 on a regular basis...do pop in for coffee...we are not that far off it!

Lakeland Jo said...

I would really love to visit you! It would be great. Our Corbridge was such a success I want to do it again soon- I worked up in Crook and Darlington and the A68 is so handy. Next time I am across I will let you know!
I would love to see Jonny W in Corbridge, but not as much as my mum! That would make our day! I believe he lives in Slaley.