Friday 31 October 2008

Carrick a Rede Rope Bridge and the Glens

In the UK there is a 'Discover Ireland' advert on tv which shows tourists teetering nervously across a rope swing bridge which is strung up between two rocks. Yesterday we took advantage at the good weather ( at last) and visited. I thought the bridge was great ( the steep steps up and down and the walk there and back my legs were less impressed with). I am not afraid of heights and this was just as well as I had two little girls bouncing on the bridge and swinging it when I was on.



Here is a shot of the mountain goat on the bridge: needless to say he loved it!













As you can see from the above picture, it's not for everyone! I am not too sure Other Half enjoyed it ( a bit like the Belfast wheel- a combination of the height and the swinging in the wind). However, he did it! I think it is 80 ft high and the sea is crashing below on rocks.


The scenery is fabulous! After fish and chips at BallyCastle at Morton's ( fish jumps straight out of the sea I swear it) we drove down the coast and looked at the Antrim glens. Again- wonderful scenery and lovely little villages along the way. Once we got to Larne ( very industrial and not as pretty) we turned round and came back to a home-made chicken dinner. Made by other half using local produce ( organic chicken, local veg etc), it was lovely! I relaxed in the bath as a reward for all the driving, and let the cooking lovely smells waft around.


5 comments:

Clippy Mat said...

i think we have same or similar discover ireland adverts here.
sounds like you had a great day. don't know about that bridge tho'.
danger boy seemed to like it.
:-)

Pam said...

OMG, I grew up having nightmares about just such bridges -- don't think I could do it! However, I am married to a mountain goat, too funny!

Gill - That British Woman said...

you wouldn't have got me on that bridge either!!!!

I was trying to think about the same discover Ireland adverts, but I don't remember the one that shows this bridge?

Gill

Renie Burghardt said...

Well...if I looked straight ahead and not down, I might be able to do it. Haha. Great pictures, Jo, and your food sounded delicious and made me hungry!

Have a wonderful weekend.

Renie

Renie Burghardt said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.