Sunday 9 August 2009

The great escape

Folks-I am back home from hospital. I was diagnosed as having an attack of acute pancreatitis caused by the evil gallstones. I need to go for a few more tests and then when the inflamation dies down I will be getting the gall bladder removed. Thank God for that!! I really want this sorted out as soon as possible. I could do without another day like Thursday. It was very grim.

So I have had four days of resting and sleeping, and doing little else. Peeping at the occasional newspaper or magazine, watching GI Jane ( lent to me by another patient) on my computer, not eating, and resting my digestive system. The square root of very little activity at all, and that is obviously how my body wants it.

But boy do you need to be fit for a stay in hospital. It really is survival of the fittest in there sometimes. One of the biggest challenges of the ward assault course is sleep. The moment the lights go out on the ward it all kicks off big style. Without your curtains firmly closed, an eye mask and some robust ear plugs as starting kit you are finished. You may as well wave the land of nod goodbye.
First you have to survive the observations routine. Try resting while you are under the vice like grip of the blood pressure machine. Or the person in the next bed needs the commode, or pain relief, or to see the doctor, or they have dropped their buzzer or...
Or we have the 'admissions at silly o clock' ( as the nurses call it) when someone unexpectedly arrives for admission on the ward. You look up or peep out of your curtains and see porters, nurses, doctors, shocked looking patient ( usually accompanied by frazzled looking relative), uncle Tom Cobbly and all....each admission usually takes at least an hour.

At last it all settles down... and then they turn the lights on at seven along with curtains opened... to serve tea and meds. Just when you have dropped off....

sigh- I am looking forward to a peaceful night.....in my own lovely bed.......

zzzh

6 comments:

Bragger said...

I'm glad you are back from hospital. You probably need a stay in hospital to get over the OTHER one. I hope you continue to recover, and I hope the situation reaches a final resolution soon. Feel better!

tmmb said...

Wow, I am really glad you're back home and feeling a little better. Sending you supportive thoughts, and by the way, I miss living in a place where people say things like "silly o' clock." It just isn't the same elsewhere. :)

Gberger said...

I am so sorry for this, but I can relate to it...as one of those relatives, who slept (for many weeks) in the hospital, beside the bed of a loved one. It's an amazing thing, how humans can adapt. I did have great earplugs, and Katie and I made a deal: she was allowed to throw something at me if I didn't hear her when she wanted me to wake up! It worked...stuffed animals were the best "missiles."
I just read your previous posting, and that is a wonderful prayer request. Thank you for unselfishly ministering to others from your own hospital bed! I hope you are at home and cozy in your own bed now.

Sage said...

I found it easier to sleep during the daytime funnily enough as during the night it seemed like everyone and his family would drop by... thankfully I haven't had that many occasions I have needed to be a resident and always grateful to get home... hope they sort your troublesome gallstones out very soon... xx

Nicola said...

I know what you mean about needing recuperation after a hospital stay - all that laying around and being constantly disturbed is not the best antidote to getting better. Glad you are back home. Take care of yourself and hope you are feeling tip top soon. xx

l'optimiste said...

OMG. the blood pressure machine - that bleeping gibbering freak of a thing!! I HATED it!! woke me up every hour aargh