Tuesday 25 August 2009

weird habits confessional


Sometimes (like this morning) I wake up between four and five, feeling very hot, very awake, with my mind racing. I have never been a great sleeper, but this pattern emerged around 2007 after major surgery. Looks like it might be here to stay.
So... rather than lying awake worrying about getting back to sleep to clock up a few more hours..... I have found a formula that works.
I get up, unload the dishwasher, do a few jobs in the kitchen and the lounge (which are apart from the bedrooms), make myself a cup of tea and breakfast, watch the tv or do a bit of blogging. After an hour I have cooled down, my mind has cooled down, and I start feeling sleepy again. I then go back to bed for a couple of hours and sleep like a log! It works really well when I don't have to get up too early for appointments or work commitments....in fact... on days like today. So - bye for now..... zzzz

What is your weirdest habit?

8 comments:

Jinksy said...

I have sleep problems, too, but I usually read for an hour if I wake up between 3-4 o'clock - works fine if the book is not too interesting!

Clippy Mat said...

i do the same thing. oh, not empty the dishwasher or other household chores, but i'll have a cuppa and watch tv or blog. but only if it's before 5. i couldn't go back to bed and sleep after that. ;-)

Busy Bee Suz said...

If it works for you, that is awesome. I wish I was a morning person, but I don't think I will ever be one. I like to sleep till 9 or so, but that never happens it seems.

Bernard said...

When I worked up in London, I used to get up at five every morning to get a 'heads start' on commuting. Now I'm retired I cannot get out of the habit. I'm still up at five! At least the cats like being fed at the same time as before.
It has its uses though. I go online at five and the net seems much quicker. I can download from iPlayer and the like in just a couple of minutes....then you can read the e-papers and have a blog.
Then computer off....and the day is all yours!

Marilynne said...

That works for me as well. I just try not to do something interesting or I get caught up in it instead of getting sleepy again.

Hadriana's Treasures said...

Oh I need my 8 hours or I'm terrible...wish I could follow your example Hx

(word verification: reste)

Tracey said...

Due to surgery i have "lady moments" and wake up so hot and usually between 3 & 4 every morning.

I go to the bathroom and run my wrists under cold water and splash my face too. It cools me down so i can go back to bed and enjoy the rest of my sleep

Anonymous said...

You know what- that's a really good idea. Don't know why I never thought of that! Instead of interpreting the wakeup as a major inconvenience, I can just make good use of it. Do I need to credit you when I get my next great novel published? ;)