Sunday 30 August 2009

grizzle moan and rant


Cartmel races was good. Despite the dodgy forecast the rain just about stayed away. We set up camp at the car, enjoyed our picnic and had fun picking the horses. None of us had much success with betting until I won £75 on the last race ( thank you to the success of Wensleydale Web. This meant I was back to square one on the day by the time I deducted all my other bets, money for the kids at the fair and coffee money. So no worse off, no better off! I really enjoyed the day.

But things went down hill from there. I made chilli con carne for dinner- not too strong. It was lean steak mince. I forgot to drain it though and had a portion. I have had mince before with no problems but not last night. A couple of hours later I had the worst pain imaginable. I have never had pain worse in my life. It was desperate. I was very sick. I felt really scared. Eventually, after some strong painkillers and other half working hard with me on my breathing ( great being married to a clinical hypnotherapist...)I started to relax a bit, and I dropped off to sleep. Damn gallstones, and probably a re-upset pancreas. Not happy.

Today I have felt pretty rough. Tired and beaten up. And very sorry for myself. Added to which the weather has been absolutely dreadful. Dark and wet. It has rained since the break of dawn and it is now eight o clock at it is still raining. And the forecast is the same tomorrow: heavy rain all day. It is so depressing. Rumour has it the races tomorrow are going to be cancelled. The ground is going to be not just soft, but a river.

So, as you can see, it has not been a good day for Lakeland Jo. But we all have them I suppose. Tomorrow I hope I am back to my usual bouncy self.

9 comments:

Bernard said...

The Lake District looks very beautiful Jo, and you are very lucky to live there.....but, if you have all those lakes, they have to be filled up from somewhere...I'm afraid it's called rain.
No rain ....no puddles...no lakes!

Hope you feel better tomorrow.

Lakeland Jo said...

I know I know, but I am feeling ungracious and ungrateful tonight Kippers Dickie- I promise I will cheer up tomorrow

Cole Walter Mellon said...

This journey is full of peaks and valleys. Sounds like you're down now, but you'll soon be back on top.

Keep on keeping on...

Clippy Mat said...

god love ye, i don't know how you keep putting up with that gall bladder agony. m.o.h. had one bout in december and had the thing taken out. he said it was unbearable pain when he had the attack, but you have had a few bouts now. surely you can get it out?

tmmb said...

Feel better! Remember how gorgeous it'll be again the instant the sun comes out. ... says the person who's been doing an awful lot of whinging herself lately ;)

Gberger said...

Oh, no - I'm so sad about the digestive upset, after you made homemade chili! What a nasty "reward" for your efforts. I hope tomorrow is MUCH better. You are so mindful of your healthy food choices that this will surely pass.
Glad that you got to have a fun holiday weekend with teenager, other half, your friend and the horses. I love horses, and your festive local weekend event sounds lovely, in spite of the weather (we have a similar climate, as you may know from your friends who live here - this summer has been an exception).

Busy Bee Suz said...

I hope you are back to feeling better real soon!!!

Anonymous said...

Hope you are feeling better in a day or two Jo. Plenty of R&R and watch some 'feel good' films if you have to say out of the rain.

Caroline said...

Glad you enjoyed your day at the races, Jo - it's always a fun day out, isn't it, win or lose? Although winning's better, obviously!